This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Statement for Harry's House Durham
Harry's House offers self catering accommodation just 3 miles from the heart of the Cathedral City of Durham. Harry's sleeps up to 5 people and has 3 bedrooms,all situated up a standard flight of 14 stairs. Our living areas are large and easily accessible, with kitchen,dining room and lounge all on one level. The garden and driveway are located over a residential back lane just a few metres from the back door. The lower garden entertaining space is accessed by 4 steps on a small incline. 'House was built in 1936 but has been recently renovated in a quirky style to provide real 'home from home' comfort.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 07961889916 or email [email protected]
- A map of our location is available on our website www.harryshousedurham.co.uk. Alternatively you can plan your journey with the AA route planner tool online using our postcode DH1 1AS to get up to the minute traffic updates for optimum route.
- The nearest rail station is Durham City Centre approx 4 miles away. Taxis are available from the station and include disabled access vehicles.
- Local bus services run every 15 mins and stop 5m from the property. Ask the driver for Carrville High Street.
- We are on a main road at the front of the property which is serviced regularly by the local council,pavements are level and well kept.
- We can provide access to a wheelchair if required. Please let us know prior to arrival.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- The owner will be on hand to greet you with a short tour of facilities and your keys
- Parking is available to the rear of the property on our private driveway.On street parking is also available to the front of the property for additional vehicles. Driveway is well lit at night by fixed light if needed and is covered 24hrs a day by CCTV.
Entrance to Property
- The front entrance has 1 step up with no fixed handrail.Floor covering from this entrance is wool carpet, and there is a light switch to the left as you enter.
- The back entrance is approx 5m from the parking area and has 2 small steps with no fixed handrail. Floor covering in this area is parquet flooring, although we also provide non slip doormats and kitchen runners here.
Halls, Stairs, Landings, Passageways
- The stairs and landing are well lit with ceiling level pendant light.
- Staircase is or standard construction with wool fitted carpet and 14 steps. There is a fixed handrail running the full level of stairs and also along the landing.
- Sitting room/lounge is on ground floor with entry from front door. There are no doorways to negotiate as we are open plan to dining room.
- The room is large and has 3 upholstered sofas.We have side tables that can be moved around to optimize space and accessibility.
- The TV is flatscreen with Freeview and DVD player is also available.Both have remote control.
- Lighting in the room is wall mounted and has dimmer switches, as well as from standard table lamps. The natural light in this room is good as there is a large window.
- Flooring is wool fitted carpet.
- Dining room can be accessed from the kitchen or the lounge and has overhead halogen spotlights on a dimmer switch.
- The dining table can be accessed from all sides and has seating for 6 people.Chairs are of standard construction,solid wood with rush seating and can be moved freely.
- Natural light is good with dual aspect from kitchen and lounge.
- Flooring is wool fitted carpet and 1 large wool rug.
- The kitchen is situated to the rear of the property,on level access to the ground floor of the house. The kitchen is spacious galley style with stand alone units.
- One glass panel door leads into dining room and is of standard size.
- Oven is electric and front opening at lower level, grill is drop down design at middle level. Hob is electric and has 4 rings at standard level. There is an extractor fan with overhead lighting.
- Workspace is plentiful at standard height and easily accessible from all areas of the kitchen.
- Sink area is separate from food preparation areas and is at standard height.
- fridge and freezer are both under-counter style and so are at floor level at lowest points.
- Kitchen crockery,utensils etc can be moved around to best suit the needs of the guest but each type has its own cupboard.
- No table/seating available in the kitchen.
Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
- All bedrooms on first floor.1 is a large master suite with double bed and double sofa bed available. 1 has triple sleeper bunk and a single, 1 is a single that also has additional single guest bed available. All bed are of divan construction and as such that they are easily accessible.All beds have quality orthopedic mattresses
- Furniture in these rooms has been placed to provide optimum space and therefore would not benefit from being moved.
- Doors are of standard size.
- Rooms are serviced by combination boiler central heating.
- Lighting in all room provided by standard ceiling pendants and bedside table lamps.
- Each room has its own robes and towels. All bedding is hypoallergenic.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets
- Bathroom is level entry with standard door.
- separate walk in shower cubicle is large with direct access. The water flow is thermostically controlled and has an anti-scald mechanism. The shower is large enough to take a shower seat. If this is required please let us know in advance.
- The bath is roll top freestanding but has no grab rail.
- Toilet is standard level.
- Washbasin/bath have standard taps.
- Flooring is non slip linoleum, bath mats available.
- Well lit from large window and overhead light.
- The garden is large and separated into 2 areas.
- Front area has seating,lawn,flowerbeds and paved areas as well as clematis covered pergola. Ideal for morning coffee.
- Rear area is accessed by 4 steps and had lawn,patios,BBQ area and private use of hot tub. We have an addition of a heated changing room,seating area with TV.
- Seating also available under our grapevine covered pergola in this area.
- All areas of the garden can be accessed by level pathways.
- Well behaved dogs are welcome.
- The property benefits from access to Fibre-optic WiFi.
- The village had doctors,dentists,chemists and an array of service providers available as well as C of E,Methodist and Catholic churches.
- We provide an extensive directory of local attractions, takeaways menus and details of public houses and restaurants.
- Our directory includes details of emergency services, vets etc and can be found in the file in the dining room.
- We are constantly looking to improve our service, comments are welcome to help us achieve this.